Saturday, June 12, 2010

Caleb's Birth Story

At our last prenatal appointment, the Wednesday Caleb was born, I was 40 weeks and 6 days and I was already at about 5 cm thanks to very mild contractions that had been coming on and off for almost 2 weeks at that point. We had talked with the midwives and had decided that if active labor hadn't started by then, we would go ahead and strip our membranes in hopes of inviting active labor. So, that's what we did.

After having the membranes stripped the midwife suggested that we head right home and we all expected for active labor to begin sooner rather than later. And sure enough, contractions started in the car on the way home. They were coming regularly 4 minutes apart, but they were still very mild. We called the midwife and let her know that things were lining up in a regular pattern, but were still mild. She decided to pack her car and meet us at the house, knowing how quickly things moved with Ben. By the time we got home contractions were coming 3 minutes apart, but were still mild.

When the midwives showed up they looked at me expectantly...but still no "active" labor. Jared and I decided to take a walk. The midwives went out for Indian food. The contractions never stopped and became stronger, but were never more than "mild." After a few times around the block the contractions were coming every 2 minutes regularly.

By 4 pm, still no active labor. The midwives didn't want to leave because they knew that they wouldn't make it back in time if active labor did begin. And while the mild, regular contractions weren't going away, we had no idea how long they would last or if they would ever lead up to active labor or even eventually just stop. At that point I asked Jared for a blessing. We felt a lot of peace. We were assured that the Lord was answering our prayers and that all was well. We decided to walk some more (by the end of the day we had walked almost 4 miles). We played Mille Borne, talked, snacked and waited. The midwives rested, read, updated charts and waited.

By 6pm still nothing but our regular, 2 minute apart mild contractions. The midwives called a pow wow. We decided to check my progress and decided from there. I was at 7 cm and 90% effaced! My body had done a lot of work that afternoon without the least bit of distress. And while my body was doing great work and making great progress, active labor would still need to begin to bring the baby. They recommended homeopathics and/or herbal tinctures to encourage active labor. We talked about breaking the water.

At this point I was feeling a bit sad. It was so close to the kids' bed time. I thought for sure they would be able to meet their new baby before bed. Jared and I knew my body was doing the right thing and that we were in the Lord's hands, but we could all feel that it was time to press forward. My feeling was "it's time." It felt even past time. Jared and I walked and talked one more time. I was hesitant to take the homeopathics and herbs. I didn't want to bring anything into my body that would create a more intense labor than I was already expecting, but the alternative was breaking my water, which leaves less "padding" for Mom and baby during labor. That's how we labored with Ben. We decided to take the herbs.

By 7:40 still nothing. They usually wait longer for the herbs to kick in but it was getting late, I was getting tired and it was time. We decided to break my water. This was a really difficult decision for me. I asked for a blessing that gave me the strength I needed to move forward. I got ready and put on my birthing gown (a snazzy little number we found on line :) and came back to break my water. The midwife checked and checked, but no bag of water to be found. It was determined that in the time after deciding to break the water, while I was getting ready, my water broke all on its own.

So, I got up and waited for the freight train...and, boy did it come. :) Half an hour later I was wanting to push and half an hour after that our beautiful Caleb was born.

All the way to the very end Caleb had us guessing if he was a he or a she. Right after he was born and Jared and I hadn't seen him yet, the midwives said something about needing to get something for "her." Turns out they were talking about me, but Jared and I thought for that second that we had a girl. We quickly learned differently! :)

I didn't fully return from "birthing brain" until after the midwives left but as far as I can remember, the hours after Caleb was born were filled with comfort and care for me, snuggle time for me and Caleb, (nursing and singing his first lullaby) and the weighing the measuring etc. There was a big rain during those hours and it seemed like magic right then. Then the midwives headed home around 1 am. Jared and Caleb and I settled down for our first night. Caleb didn't sleep much, so neither did we. But we rested and pretty soon morning brought his sister and brother and Grandma and Grandpa to meet him.

Our midwife told me in a postnatal visit that she felt that Caleb's birth was miraculous in many ways. Of corse I agreed. It was a miracle they were here to be with us. He came so quickly that if they hadn't packed up and spent the afternoon with us, and the water had broke on its own, like it did, they wouldn't have made it here in time. It was a miracle that my body spared me hours of laboring the way I do...but just quietly and gently brought me to the last hour of work. It was a miracle that my water broke all on it's own, that I didn't have to intervene, which I did not want to do, to bring our baby. She said, the way I birth is "unique" (don't we know it! :) and that she was so glad for all the miracles that gave us the blessed experience we had. Me too!

We are so grateful for answered prayers and very grateful for the biggest miracle of all...our Caleb.

No comments: