Saturday, June 12, 2010

Natural Child Birth

Some of you know that our first two birthing experiences were pretty intense and even in some ways traumatic. Sometimes I think that my passion for and commitment to natural childbirth is being tested. :) Looking back with our second miscarriage, ending up in the ER, should have been a hint of things to come, but even then I still had no idea what was in store. Preparing for Caleb's birth Jared and I wanted to do all that we could to learn from our first two experiences. We were blessed to have two wonderful midwives who helped us work through the past and prepare for the future. We prayed and anticipated miracles. We were blessed.


This birth experience was very much the same as our first two in ways and in other ways was very different. Usually, I don't get a break between my contractions which, we've heard from 3 midwives now, are stronger, longer and closer together than the average birthing Mama's contractions (some how that always sounds like an understatement :). And so I don't usually stay consciously active in my labor after one or two contractions. Jared and I say, I "check out." But this time I did get short breaks between every contraction. They were still long!! and very!! strong but I was at least able to think a little bit, a couple times I was able to catch my breath, I was able to say what I needed and I was able to pray silently twice.


There came a point when I couldn't go on as I was. I prayed. My very next contraction I felt like pushing. Then after a long while of hard pushing contractions I couldn't do more. I was able to pray again. A moment later the birthing began, which took a long time because Caleb was very slow moving. But by the time I was ready to pray again, Caleb was born. I know Heavenly Father hears and answers every prayer...sometimes just the way we hope.


Because I was more present I felt a lot more of Caleb's birth than the first two, so in that way it was actually more intense, but I was so glad to be able to pray and be more aware. I was so glad to be present enough to hold Caleb and sing to him and help him nurse after he was born. Which I wasn't able to do with Hannah because they took her away to the NICU and couldn't do with Benjamin, because I was so "checked out."

This birth was for sure the best yet, even if only because we knew what to expect and how to get through it. I am thankful that I am able to bear and birth babies. I am thankful that I am able to give so much to my family in childbirth. I am thankful for home births and good midwives. I am thankful for the best husband ever, my best friend, who has helped me through every moment of pain and struggle in bringing our family to be. I am thankful to the Lord who is good and kind and whose hand is over all. I am thankful for Caleb.

No comments: