Our two girls were born almost exactly 8 years a part. Close enough to bring family and friends together for one big amazing day of celebration and love, for a Blessing and a Baptism.
| Grandpa making egg-in-the-holes for Sunday morning breakfast. This was Hannah's request. She loves waking up to Grandpa making breakfast when we visit Grandma & Grandpa's house in California. |
| Good morning, beautiful 8-year-old girl! |
| Hannah with cousins & Caleb at breakfast. |
| Ben and Hannah rode to church with Grandma & Grandpa. Snapping photos with their new cameras. |
In the Doctrine and Covenants in Section 20, verse 70 says..."Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name." My parents were converts to the church in their early adulthood and so my younger sisters and I were the first in our family to be blessed as babies by the Elders of the Church. I love the blessing of a baby... for a few beautiful, quiet moments, each precious little one, brand new from heaven is held in their Daddy's hands, surrounded by brave and good men who love the Lord and their parents and this precious little baby, in a circle like the ring of fire that surrounded the little children in The Book of Mormon, protecting and blessing this child, in the name of Christ, through the Holy Spirit, as they begin their sojourn on earth. To me it is the paternal counter part to the precious Spirit flooded hours and days surrounding the birth. Through the Mama the baby, in their new body, comes into the world and by the Daddy they are given their name and their first Priesthood blessings. Not one without the other, perfect together.
Our friends, Sophia, Megan and Melanie, Mom and Dad Stubblefield, Lynda adnd Kevin, Isaac and Olivia, Josh and Courtney and all 7 cousins gathered in Sacrament meeting. Laura and Adam and the Sechrist cousins joined us quickly after. Near the beginning of a beautiful meeting, it was time to bless the newest little Stubblefield baby.
Naomi was sweet and happy as always. She was adorable and quiet, wiggly and excited. Dad Stubblefield said she was kicking the Bishop the whole time with her happy little feet. The blessing she received was straight from heaven and meant just for her. A few of us quickly scribbled down the beautiful thoughts and phrases for Naomi to read some day, but the one blessing that stood out to me was that she would have good health into her old age.
After Sacrament meeting we all met outside for a great big picture. So many people we love in one place. My heart was swollen ten sizes all day long. I felt so blessed.
| Can you see my little blue shoes? : ) I couldn't walk in them, but they were so cute and a perfect match to the boys' ties. : ) |
After pictures, Jared called an audible. We weren't staying for our 2nd and 3rd meetings, we were heading over to set up and prepare for the luncheon right then and so we did. I was sad to miss meetings, but so thankful that Jared made that decision, when rain brought us all inside much sooner than we had expected.
So, setting up meant, everyone one out of their Sunday best and into some picnic clothes. Hannah, the belle of the ball changed into a beautiful party dress that Melanie had given her for her birthday. Tables, chairs, white table clothes and candles down the center. A place for the food. The baby's bed and time to help her to sleep.
Party Place
| Under big beautiful shade trees in the grass at Jared's office. |
Party People : )
| Cousins: Maddy & Melina |
| Guest of Honor in her party dress. |
| Aunt Lynda & Cousin Olivia |
| Mama and a very sleepy little girl. |
| After nap, with her Aunt Laura. |
| Beautiful girl on her baptism day! We love you Megan!! |
| Look at this handsome guy! Thanks for coming Luke!! |
And then to set up the FHE. Paper lanterns hung from a big, beautiful tree, luminaries lighting the way to...temples...the Los Angeles where the Stubblefields were sealed, the D.C. where Grandma Lois was sealed and where she and Papa Jim were married and the Salt Lake, where her Mama and Daddy were sealed...nailed to the trunk of the tree. Ladders and fishing twine and men to do the job. Hammers and nails and everybody pitching in to help. I am clearly a Mama with vision, but it took a small army (read my super generous and indulgent family) to make it all happen.
Eventually, the food arrived and everyone for the party. Now Mr. Porterfield, a friend of Melanie's and ours joined us as well. Yummy, rice and peas, pork, mac and cheese...from Melanie and her friend Solie, green salad and fruit salad made by Mom Stubblefield for everyone. Pink and Yellow were the colors of the day...plates, napkins, forks, cups. The rain clouds were gathering so we ate quickly. And while folks ate I gave my lesson...
After the lesson it was time to walk the straight and narrow path to the tree of life, beginning with the first one of us there baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...Dad Stubblefield. He lit a candle, representing the gift of the Holy Ghost, and walked down the path to the tree. The fruit of the tree of life swaying above, in the form of white paper lanterns. He waited for each of us to join him. Soon we were all there, with our candles lit, waiting for Hannah, Sophia and Megan. After they each took their turn, the little children waiting to be baptized and grown ups of other faiths, walked the path and joined us as well.
I hope that Hannah will always remember that view. Looking down that little path to that great big group of loved ones who are walking with her towards the Temple, our Heavenly Home, Eternity. I hope she will remember each face, their testimony and love shining just for her.
Before the moment had passed the rain began to fall and we all gathered food and things and ran inside. Jared made lemonade slushies for everyone in our great blender. The were sipped through paper straws with pink and yellow polka dots. After slushies it was time to wash up and get dressed again. The second of our two main events was coming up.
We all made it back to the church. We set up in the Releif Society room. The Elders turned every chair to face the font. Hannah, Megan and Sophia went to get dressed in their white baptism clothes and I came along to help and hold and smooth hair. Meanwhile, in the kitchen the Allreds and Sechrists were busy filling party cups, pink and yellow with white polka dots full of chocoalates (Wilbur Buds of course) and cashew nuts. Lemonade was made and put in pitures. The beautiful yellow and pink cake that Sophia gave to Hannah and Megan was in the fridge waiting. Mason jars full of forks and polka dot paper straws. Napkins and cake plates in yellow and pink. Everything was ready in the YW room. We thought maybe the gym would have been to big.
But we were wrong and as more and more people started to arrive, the decision was made to meet in the Chapel. Everyone moved. A sign was left on the RS room door.
Jared, Sophia, Megan, Hannah, Caleb and I sat on the front row. The chapel pews were filled in with lots of loving folks. My sometimes anxious and energetic Hannah was peaceful, still, confident and quiet. The program was printed with this beautiful picture on the front.
I told Hannah that when I looked at it I saw little Hannah girl in Jesus' lap. The scripture at the bottom read...
Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child,
him will I receive, for os such is the kingdom of God.
3 Nephi 9:22
At Hannah's request, our dear and wonderful friend Alyce led the music. We sang, Hannah's choice, When I Am Baptized. Then Aunt Laura gave the opening prayer. Brother Meldrum said a few words and then it was time for Grandma's talk. It was wonderful. I cried and the Spirit was so strong. After her talk, Brother Meldrum invited Sophia, Megan and Hannah, along with their escorts to exit the chapel to the right. Family and friends to the left. When he said those words a wonderful thing occurred to me that I had never thought of before. The chapels of the church truly are the Lord's houses. The holy ordinances of baptism, confirmation and the Sacrament are administered there and in those moments, in those times the chapels are as Temples to the Lord and to those who attend. Truly our chapel was His holy house that day.
Jared, Sophia, Megan, Hannah and I made our way to the font. Jared to the left, the four of us to the right. I had towels ready. Hannah's was a beautiful one with pink ribbon with white polka dots and her name embroidered on it from Aunt Lynda. Hannah was first. She had rehearsed this moment with Jared many times and didn't hesitate. Jared looked so handsome and strong in his white clothes...pants, shirt and tie...waiting for her in the water. I was so proud of what we were doing together. He took her hand. She was baptized and sat herself down, just like Jared taught her to do. She went way under and up again. Slow and unhurried. Then she hugged her Daddy, right there in the font. He picked her up and held her for a long moment. She carefully climbed the steps to me and I dried her face with her pretty towel. I held her, my arm around her as Megan and Sophia each had their turn. Their smiles were like sunshine and the Spirit was tangible as if we'd all been caught up in the most perfect and peaceful, holy and hushed place. As we walked from the font to the bathroom Hannah said to me, Mom, I just feel so good, so good. I can't explain it Mom, I feel so special. As I was helping and handing and attaching hair flowers, Megan and Hannah commented to each other how very, very good they felt. I said, "This is how the temple feels! I can't wait to take you girls to the Temple!" As a finishing touch I had promised Hannah a bit of an oil blend as a perfume. Some for each one, even Sophia. It was as if for a brief moment Jared and I were blessed to be a father and a mother to each one of them. A privilege I will never forget. And again, each of us, he and I, doing our part.
In Ezekial, Chapter 16, the Lord gives a rather graphic depiction of his adoption of the House of Israel. But when I read it for the first time I cried, because to me it was just beautiful. Due to the circumstances of my childhood, I really didn't spend much time with either of my parents from a young age. I could definitely identify with the orphan baby the Lord described. But this chapter is not just for those who missed out on their parents, it is for everyone who is adopted by the Lord through baptism. He describes how he washes the baby and claims them as His own. Because He is King, he then clothes the child in fine clothes and adorns them with the jewels of His house and anoints the child with oils. This scripture was in my mind often leading up to Hannah's baptism. And so I made sure she had beautiful clothes, special pieces of jewelry and a beautiful, yummy essential oils to put on after her baptism. I hope that she will always remember the day the Lord adopted her as His own child and I am so thankful that I was able to celebrate this moment in her life in these special ways.
After we were all set we returned to our spot on the front row in the chapel. Grandpa gave a wonderful talk on the Gift of the Holy Ghost and Hannah was confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and commanded to receive the Holy Ghost, the gift now available to her at all times. This blessing was important to Hannah and later she would tell us how close to Heavenly Father she felt when she received it.
After her confirmation Sister Whiting welcomed her to Primary, sharing a touching story about the connection she still has with her Activity Day friends and challenged Hannah to be a like a lighthouse to all those around her. Brother Meldrum, then, welcomed Hannah as the newest member of the Lititz Ward. He had a puzzle box and told Hannah that there was only one correct way of opening it and that inside there was a picture of the next stop on her journey home to her Heavenly Father. Hannah had that box figured out very quickly and was so pleased to find a picture of the Temple waiting for her. Megan's Primary President also spoke, as did Megan and Sophia's Bishop.
The meeting ended with an awesome singing of I Am a Child of God. Alyce added an alto part and the whole room was filled with the amazing Spirit present throughout the meeting. Uncle Josh gave the closing prayer. Then it was time for yummy desserts and congratulations!
Pink and yellow Lemonade, a beautiful pink, yellow and white, sheet cake that Sophia had made for Hannah and Megan, pink and yellow white polka dotted mini paper cups filled with chocolate buds and cashews awaited the hungry masses. There were so many people there that we quickly ran out of cake and the chocolates and nuts went soon after. Hannah and Naomi stole away for a quick photo together and with their Grandma and Grandpa. There was so much love and happiness overflowing the YW room. : )
And then it was clean up, gather up, check the church one more time for anything left behind...and head home...to eat left overs, to play games, to soak in the amazing day we just had and to rest after such great achievements and precious moments for our family.
I want to close this long account of the day with two special thank yous...
First, to Jared's parents. It was the greatest help and comfort to us to have them here. Dad worked with Jared to gather everything up and make sure things got done and Mom helped me to figure how much of everything and how to prepare it all and serve it all and then prepared much of the family's lunch! They helped and gifted in many ways large and small, helped to make our little Hannah feel so special and cared for and I am so grateful for their support and love.
And finally, to my good and amazing husband. I am thankful to him for this beautiful family we are raising together. I am thankful to him for helping me make my dreams and vision a reality. I am thankful for his worthiness and ability to offer these ordinances to our children. I am grateful for the awesome friendship, partnership and marriage we have and for being able to serve others together. I love him more each day....
And this precious day is one I will never forget.
![]() |
| June 30, 2014 Blessing of Naomi Rae Stubblefield Baptism of Hannah Mae Stubblefield |




No comments:
Post a Comment