Thursday, December 11, 2008

Decking the Halls, A Visit with Santa and a Gingerbread House

At our house this year, we didn't waste any time getting into the Christmas spirit! :) The day after Thanksgiving we brought home our Christmas tree and I decorated the house, one of my favorite things to do. Most of our decorations are gifts from people I love and so it warms my heart, while making the house feel full and bright.

This year, like last year, Hannah is pretty determined to believe in Santa Claus. For a while she was asking us a bunch of questions about him. Eventually she got around to, "Can we go see him?" So we headed over to the mall. Hannie picked out a Santa Claus sticker from home, carried it in her little fingers to keep the sticky part sticky, all the way in the car, into and through the mall, waited in line and gave it too him when it was our turn. He graciously recieved it. She sat on his lap and told him what she wanted for Christmas..."decorations" and "lots of suprises." It was very, very sweet. 

On the way home she asked me where Santa lived. And I told her that the Santa Claus story says that Santa Claus and the Reindeer live at the North Pole, way up at the top of the world, where it is very cold. She asked me how they stayed warm. I said, I thought they probably drank a lot of hot chocolate and sat close the the fire. She thought about that for a few seconds and then said..."Mom, Reindeer can't drink hot chocolate." I suggested that maybe they could if they used a a straw. She thought about that for a second and then gave me a face like, "come on" and told me that was just silly. :) Traveling by jingle-bell sleigh through the night sky, living at the North Pole, bringing toys and treats to every child of the world on Christmas Eve...totally believable...reindeer drinking from a straw...ridiculous! :) I guess, we'll have to see what the big guy leaves under the tree this year! :) 

Also, a couple of Sunday's ago we spent the afternoon/evening with our friends, the Hogues. They helped us decorate our gingerbread house...which Hannah and Ben both loved doing. Here they are with the finished product. Ben decorated the Christmas tree and Hannah decorated the house. 
Well, we hope everyone's advent season has been happy and bright so far. We are looking forward to all our annual favorites and a few fun extras this year. We'll keep you posted! :)

5 comments:

Nettina said...

i liked your story about the reindeer drinking through a straw, it made me laugh :) ps. my cousins are so cute! love you!

mastubz said...

Reindeer could so drink through a straw! I can see it. I can even read it - hint, hint.
The gingerbread house and tree are too cute, along with the proud faces of the creators. The kids are looking so grown up. Ben is losing his baby fat, and his neck is thinning out/lengthening giving him that so grown-up look. I miss all of you :(

stubz said...

Jared, you are crazy. I came up with a great idea for a website and think you might be interested. I'll have to tell you about it some time.

Rearun said...

Hannah is such a cutie and so is her mommy. Congrats on the job Jared.

laura said...

what can brown do for you?

our kids are really worried about us not having a fireplace. I told them not to worry, it's all part of the santa magic, but we might have to leave the back door unlocked to ease their minds.

your gingerbread house is awesome!