Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Sweetest Sound

It is just the most wonderful relief and joy to hear that little heartbeat for the first time. This morning after chatting with the midwife for a while, she said, "Do you want to hear the heartbeat?" I might have jumped out of my seat saying yes! :) I wanted to wait for that heartbeat to make the big announcement. And after this morning our big announcement is official. :) 

Around the middle of July I came down with food poisoning...or so I thought :). It lasted for a while, which was no fun, but the last time I got food poisoning like this (the long term yucky way...upset stomach all the time, nausea, hard to eat, sick, sick sick feeling...no actual getting sick v. the short term violent way with a lot of actually getting sick :) it lasted for almost 2 weeks, so I was hopeful it would just pass. But it didn't and then I started experiencing serious fatigue. One weekend I felt like I was going to fall over and pass out and couldn't get out of bed. 

At that point Jared and I were concerned that I was actually experiencing stress exhaustion and were getting pretty concerned about my over all health. Luckily, wiser heads prevailed. :) I was on the phone with my sister...listing off all my symptoms and telling her how worried we were about me...and she said, "Deb, are you pregnant??" 

And, as it turns out, as confirmed by that amazing, wonderful, baby heartbeat this morning, unexpectedly but very happily, we are expecting. And while it hasn't felt much different from 3 months of food poisoning and stress exhaustion :), it's for such a wonderful cause! 

There was a moment this morning when the midwife wondered if we might be having twins!, because I was measuring a bit bigger than we thought I would be. But as it turns out we are just a bit farther along than we thought. It looks like we are 15 1/2 weeks pregnant, which gives us an expected time of arrival around the middle of March, our due date is March 14th. 

We would love for prayers on behalf of our little one and her or his (but Hannah is 100% convinced it's a girl and I've known older sibs to be right about these things :) Mommy, especially with flu season in full swing. When I have a profile of note, I'll post a picture.  :) 

9 comments:

Lael said...

Congratulations on your very good news! I am so happy for you and your little family as you prepare for the arrival of this sweet little "gift from Heaven". You will be in my prayers!

Jerry said...

Congratulations, Debbie and Jared! What wonderful news! And congratulations to Hannah and Benjamin, too - you get to have a little sibling. We will most definitely keep you in our prayers - for your health, strength, peace of mind, and a healthy little baby. Congratulations again! We're so happy for you!

- Sally H., M.A. Ed., Early Childhood Educator, Holistic Nutritional Consultant said...

Debbie that is such wonderful news! The first time I met you, you were pregnant with Ben. What joy he has brought to your family... I'm glad that the mystery to your health concerns has been discovered. What a great surprise!

SillySlang said...

That's wonderful news! I hope you feel better soon. A good cause does make it worth it.

meg.. said...

Congratulations! Sorry to hear you're not feeling well though. Hope the sickness passes soon and you breeze through the rest of the pregnancy.

J and C said...

crazy! well, I was sure we might not get any babies in 2010, but I was wrong. happy days ahead! A girl hmm....seems like we are on a girl swing right now: Amanda, Gianna, Lacey, Laney, Brielle.....those boys gotta pull ahead sometime, maybe the 2011 babies? ;o)

Nettina said...

Yay! We got to hear our baby's heart beat on Monday :) So exciting that my cousin will be my baby's age :) Crazy how that works!! love you guys!

The Johstoneaux Family said...

How exciting Debbie! A big congratulations!!!

Ben A. Friend said...

Yay!!!!!! Congrats! Surprise babies are so fun! Maddie KNEW that Hayes was a boy the second we told her I was pregnant. She never even entertained the idea of him being a girl. We'll be praying for a healthy pregnancy!